New Sports Grant
Physical Education and the School Sports Grant 2021-2022
Since September 2013 the government have allocated funding to each primary school in England with the aim of strengthening P.E. and sport provision. The funding is allocated as a lump sum of per school plus funding per pupil from Years 1 to 6 at the time of the January census. William Cassidi has been allocated £7,296 in the financial year 2021-22. We will also utilise funds carried forwards from 2020 – 2021 (£5,296) when schools provision was curtailed due to the COVID-19 pandemic to supplement our planned activities.
All schools must allocate funding to cover three areas:
- Physical education
- Healthy active lifestyles
- Competitive school sport and festivals
Schools have restrictions on the allocation of funds and can not use it for additional existing provision such as our swimming provision for Years 3 which must be funded from our existing budget. It is utilised to provide swimming lessons for Years 4, 5 and 6 to ensure the children meet national expectations in the swimming curriculum.
William Cassidi is allocating the funding:
- To increase the quality of teaching and broaden opportunities for children through the employment of specialist sports teachers to teach children and train teachers for example gymnastics, tennis, rugby and football, so raising the quality of lessons and enabling children to develop a wide range of skills (approximately 25% of the allocation).
- To encourage healthy lifestyles in our children through the undertaking of training across a wide variety of areas and possible dangers including: playground leaders, cycling training, heart start, smoking, drugs, personal health and safety. The budget has also been utilised to install playground markings to encourage physical activity during play and lunch times and before and after school (approximately 25% of the allocation).
- To increase the opportunities for children to take part in competitive sports and festivals through becoming a gold member of the Stockton School Sports partnership which enables all year groups to access a wide variety of competitions and events including: tag rugby, football, athletics, hockey, gymnastics, netball, cricket, swimming, tennis, cross country and orienteering. The grant will also be used to support the cost of transport to and from events which have in the past been supported by parent voluntary donations (approximately 50% of the allocation).
- To increase the number and variety of sporting after school clubs (guided by pupil questionnaires) in the aim of introducing pupils to activities which they may continue in their lives through the direction of pupils to local facilities and clubs for pleasure and competition. These have included football and street dance activities.
- To enrich Fun and Fitness Week through providing a wide variety of sport ‘tasters’ to further introduce children to new sports and physical activities which they may be able to pursue within their communities.
As a direct result of the funding we have increased the opportunities for our children to access new sports, delivered higher quality P.E. to the children, increased competitive sporting opportunities (and attained greater success) and greater links with other schools as well as greater awareness by the children of how to keep themselves fit, healthy and safe. We are sure the initiative has also contributed to the children’s overall achievement and personal character skills (fairness, tolerance, equality, acceptance, perseverance) across social, spiritual, moral and cultural aspects of their lives.
It should be noted that many sporting festivals and activities were paused during the COVID-19 pandemic. As such children’s ability to undertake physical activities and the associated social and emotional health benefits were denied. This will inevitably impact upon the skill level and fitness of children. As a result we will enhance our programme to re-introduce activities and increase participation and engagement opportunities of the children.
7th September 2021